Schmidt's largest apartment house stands proudly among upper Park Avenue's distinguished palaces, the gravity of its minimally articulated facades contrasting with richer and more opulent buildings nearby. It owes much to the great courtyard/palazzo-type apartment blocks of the pre-war years, especially Charles Platt's Astor Court of 1916 and McKim, Mead & White's 998 Fifth Avenue of 1910-11, as well as to the work of J. E. R. Carpenter. The building was built in a modified U-plan, around existing rowhouses, and contains 5 or 6 apartments per floor. Outside, Schmidt used Italian classical sources in his modest way. The building's finest features are its grand, Vignola-inspired entrance, its vaulted vestibules, and the surprisingly intimate garden court at the rear.
New York Times / Streetscapes: A Grand Boulevard or Just Monotony Lane?