Schmidt's final New York apartment house was designed in collaboration with Rosario Candela, for the developer and attorney John Thomas Smith (born in 1879). Built in 1937 at 19 East 72nd Street, at the prominent corner of Madison Avenue, the building replaced McKim, Mead & White's Charles L. Tiffany residence of 1882-85. It is one of the architect's few departures from the traditional classical or Georgian vocabulary, owing perhaps to the fact that Schmidt was acting as a design consultant to Candela (1890-1953), the architect of record and a prolific specialist in East Side apartment houses during the twenties and thirties. It is a quasi-Art Deco building of limestone, whose symmetrical massing on 72nd Street is countered by various minor as symmetries in window size and rhythm. The building is monochromatic, unifying the flamboyant base and solid, massive superstructure, with its pyramidal setbacks. The sculpture around the main entrance was designed and carved by C. P. Jennewien, featuring classical figures and animals. A characteristic Schmidt touch on the interior is the elegant curved stairway in the owner's apartment, with a sinuous, wrought iron balustrade.